Friday, May 22, 2009

I had surgery yesterday, my first time ever! I was really nervous, but the nurses were just wonderful! My parents too. Both came to witness...and I am sure after the 4 hours of waiting while I was in surgery was worth it afterwards...I had some crazy things to say!! I guess I wanted to hit a home run really really bad! And I had to go to the bathroom so bad I thought I was going to explode, so when I sat up I threw up...the nurse caught it though so all was good. My knee had a lot more damage than they originally thought! I ended up getting my miniscus shaved and since it was torn they just sewed it back up. I have stithces inside of my knee! Interesting. My ACL was GONE...so I got a cadaver graft put in there. It is held in with two scews, one on each side! I hope the metal detectors go off when I go through them now :) They took some pictures of my knee but they are only on paper so I found similar ones on the internet so you can see! Exciting eh?

This picture above is a torn ACL...looks gross eh? Mine looked a bit different because my ACL has been ripped and torn so many times it was gone!

This is of a cadaver graft that they would put into your knee...again mine is a little different because you can see the scews on each side! I hope this new person inside of me was very athletic :)

This final picture is of damaged miniscus. Mine was sewed up right where that line was, and than on the bottom there was a huge peice sticking off that they shaved off so that I don't die? I don't know, I think it was rubbing everything and hurting me. I am still pretty drugged up so at this point I am doing great! They say that since I had so much done I can't start therapy for awhile, and its going to be a long process to fully recover. I can't play sports for 6-9 months which will be the ultimate killer. It will all be worth it in the end though! And my family is soooo great to me and take such good care of me...I am being pampered!!

1 comments:

preston. shawnee. cohen. said...

Wow, I can't believe your acl was gone!! You are one tough girl!! I'm glad the surgery went well though and that your parents are taking great care of you :) It was so good to see you the other day Jess! Love you!